Club Tournaments 2019-20
All participants are required to be members of the
English Chess Federation for grading purposes.
All results will be up at the club.
The Club Championship 150+
The Plummer Knight 120-149
The Tasker Tankard 100-119
The Denman Cup U100/ug
Players must be committed to finishing the tournaments and all games must be played by
30th April 2020.
There are still places in some tournaments so please see Tournament Controller Robin Jones if you want to join.
The above club tournaments are all moves in 90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move increments from move 1.
However if both sides agree (or prefer analogue clocks) then 36 moves in 90 minutes plus 30 minutes QPF.
NB Digital clocks and incremental time is the default time control and scoresheets must be completed to the end of the game.
In the QPF option QPF rules apply and scoresheets needn't be filled in when there are less than 5 minutes on the clock.
For further details on time controls and setting digital clocks see the Setting Clocks tab above.
Two Rapidplay Tournaments
Can be joined at the club by adding your name to the chart. Games will count towards an ECF rapidplay grade - useful for new players
Club Tournament Rules 2019-20
1. No one may enter a club tournament without being a paid-up member of both BHCC and the English Chess Federation. You can join or check your current ECF status on the ECF website. Bronze level is sufficient, currently £15 a year for adults or £8.50 for juniors.
2. Entering a club tournament is a firm commitment to play everyone else in the tournament before the end of April 2020. This means being prepared to play a maximum of eleven games as more people may join until the tournament is full at twelve.
3. Once you have entered a tournament you will receive the email addresses of everyone in your tournament and it’s up to you to arrange your games. You can play from 7:00 pm on Thursdays or from 2:00 pm on Saturdays at the club and you need to start around then to ensure you have enough time to finish the game.
4. The time controls for the internal tournaments are all moves in 90 minutes with a 30 second increment from move one. This is the default time control and can be set on programme 23 on the DGT 2000s or programme 17 on the newer DGT 2010s. Instructions for setting these are on the board and on the website, see Setting Clocks tab above.
5. If both players prefer to use the old analogue clocks then the time control is 36 moves in 90 minutes with a 30 minute quick play finish.
6. If playing on increments the scoresheet must be completed to the end of the game. On the analogue QPF time control you can stop recording when you have less than 5 minutes on the clock.
7. The winner/drawer should enter the results both on the paper chart at the club AND on the list hanging from the noticeboard. Your result will count towards an ECF standardplay grade.
8. The Tournament Controller will be the arbiter in a case of dispute.
9. For further queries or to apply to join a tournament please ask the Tournament Controller Robin Jones or Sue Chadwick.